Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nuts...

I have always said that nuts don't belong in food.

I do not understand why people mess up perfectly delish baked goods by adding nuts to them? From brownies to cookies, from breads to bars, the number of dishes that have been ruined by nuts are countless.

So, will you see dishes with nuts in my cookbook?

What do you think?

(In case you are a little slow on the uptake the answer is, no).

It is not that I hate nuts. I actually rather enjoy a handful of cashews, peanuts, or almonds, just don't add them to my food!

My strong opinions about this particular subject have lead me to realize that when testing my recipes with friends and family, there are some things that some people just do not like and never will. It is why there are four page menus at a lot of restaurants...everyone has their food quirks and we have to respect that.

In addition to nuts in food my dislikes include coconut (it is the sole food that turns me into the rude guest that will not eat what is served to me), cottage cheese, runny eggs, and almond extract. I will not eat veal, even though I eat lamb. I do not particularly like pulled pork or really fishy fish. I know what I like and I know what I don't, and so do the people that read and test my recipes.

My testers represent the general public and how they will feel about my recipes...some will love everything, some will hate it all, and most will fall somewhere in between.

What does this mean to me?

It means that I have to learn not to take it personally when someone does not like one of my recipes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if their comments are something as ridiculous as, "Nuts don't belong in food."

2 comments:

  1. I COMPLETELY AGREE..no nuts in baked goods!!! And, if it were up to me, coconut would not exist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely opposite, love nuts in everything! But, note to self, do not bring baked goods w/nuts to the Kitchen Tart's house :)

    ReplyDelete