Friday, March 15, 2013

The Quesadillas My Husband Did Not Appreciate...

Let me start with this: my husband loves and appreciates my cooking. He has many friends with wives who either do not cook, or who do not cook well, so he knows that he has a good thing. As you might imagine though, he is my guinea pig and my first line critic, which means that he does not always get the best of what comes off of my stove. Usually, if he does not like it I probably do not like it either (with some exceptions because he is a picky eater: no fish, no food on the bone, etc.). However, sometimes he is just wrong.

Yeah, I said it honey, sometimes you are wrong. (Sorry).

One such instance: the BEST quesadilla that I have ever made/had.

These quesadillas were so good and so perfectly full of fall flavor that they literally make my mouth water every time I think about them. Brie, caramelized onions, apples, chicken...they were amazing! So, I am sharing the recipe with you. Cook them and enjoy them! If you do not think that your spouse/partner/friend will enjoy it as much as you will, do yourself a favor and invite someone over who will...

Jim's (least favorite) Quesadillas (makes 2, double to make 4)

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. of butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 small wheel of brie cheese, sliced
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 apple (preferably something crispy like honeycrisp or granny smith), sliced
4 large flour tortillas

Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil. When the butter is melted, add the thinly sliced onions and toss to coat in the fat mixture. When fully coated, add the sugar. Stir the onions occasionally until they become very soft and deeper in color (20-30 minutes). Place the onions on a plate and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.

Return the pan to the heat.

Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in the pan. Place one tortilla in the pan and swirl around in the butter. Remove the tortilla and set aside. Place a second tortilla in the pan and top with the cheese, chicken breast, apple, and caramelized onions. Place the first tortilla on the top and press down on it with a spatula. When the cheese has begun to melt and the bottom tortilla has become a light brown, carefully flip the quesadilla and cook on the other side until it is also light brown. Remove, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.

When both quesadillas have been removed, slice each into four pieces and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment