Monday, September 27, 2010

A Publisher...

As I continue to work on the content for my cookbook, I realize that one of my biggest questions still lies ahead...to self publish, or not to self publish?

Originally, when I started this project I thought that I would self publish a small run and then see if I could get picked up by a publisher and go from there. Lately though I have been thinking more and more about some of the horrible cookbooks that I own.

I collect cookbooks and often buy them from Amazon without having looked through the pages for stupid reasons like a pretty cover or a cute title. Sometimes it is something as simple as an appearance on a morning talk show that can get me to buy a cookbook that I later regret purchasing. Every cookbook I buy teaches me something that I did not already know, so I keep them all, even if what the lesson is in that particular volume is how NOT to write a cookbook. It baffles me though to realize that most of the cookbooks on my shelf were done be a publishing house. We are not talking Eddie's Publishers: We publish everything no matter how bad. We are talking REAL, BIG New York City Publishers.

If they are publishing this rubbish, I can surely get them to publish my book.

So, I have decided to scrap my original plan for the time being and try to find a publisher for The Kitchen Tart Cookbook. This is not to say that I will not end up back on the self publishing route when all is said and done, but I will at least know that I have fully explored my other options.

Now I just need to learn how to navigate the world of publishing...

2 comments:

  1. I've been following every post Liz... I'm sure you will get there. I follow this very popular blog that I'm sure you know about (maybe you even have her cookbook). http://thepioneerwoman.com/
    She took a very photographic approach. Anyways, if it helps, she seems to respond to some comments, when asked a question. I bet your publishing one she might have some help with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah--Great thought! I read her blog and have her cookbook, but I did not think to ask her about the publishing. Thanks for the tip and for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete